Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Paint - The Final Color Selection Part 1

Yesterday morning while Paul and I were at work, my father-in-law painted the dining room and bonus room ceilings and touched up any other ceiling spots that looked slightly blotchy. We all had lunch together at our all time favorite burger joint, made a pit stop at the paint store and then he proceeded to paint the kitchen.



Our kitchen and the majority of the house is going to be painted Sherwin Williams Repose Gray (SW7015). Back in the fall and early December, I started looking at every possibly gray paint in the world. Benjamin Moore, Pratt & Lambert, Sherwin Williams, Behr, Valspar, Farrow & Ball, the list goes on and on. I'm on the gray paint train baby. I love it. Maybe because I'm so tired of seeing builder beige. Or maybe, because I just love gray.  So, after looking at hundreds of gray paint swatches and comparing them with fabrics and under different lighting conditions I settled on the truest "gray" I could find. It's in the cooler family, not warm or "french gray" at all. It doesn't seem to read blue, or green or tan. It's just gray. I especially like this whole tint/shade group which includes Eider White, Repose Gray, Mindful Gray, Dorian Gray, Dovetail, Gauntlet Gray (one of my favorites) and Black Fox.


The kitchen needs some touch up but overall looks really clean and classy. We went ahead and bought a five gallon bucket last night of more of the same color to start on the rest of the house, at some point that is. The Living Room, Dining Room, Bonus Room, Stairway, Guest Rooms and our Sitting Room are all this color. At least for now.

We met for dinner, dropped Addison off with our wonderful friends and then got back to work for the evening.

4 comments:

  1. When we repainted the outside of our house a couple years ago we went with Dorian Gray :). That is literally the only paint color choice we've made that we completely loved once it was up :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you blog, what would the "french Grays be"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French grays are much warmer in undertone. Instead of having a blue or purple base, they read more as a taupe and have yellows and mink colors for their base. I really don't know where the term came from. I started noticing it while in college for design and have consistently been right on with the undertones if planning for the warmth. Hope this helps.

      Delete